Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Recipe

I wanted to add a recipe that we have really liked. It is from Michael Chiarello who is a chef and is on Food Network.
1 (14 oz.) can chopped tomatoes
Olive Oil
Salt Pepper
Celery, diced
1 Carrot, diced
Onion. diced
Garlic, minced
1 cup chicken broth
1 Bay Leaf
Butter (optional)
1/4 cup chopped Basil

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Drain the tomatoes and reserve the juice. Spread the tomatoes on a cookies sheet and add salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle on olive oil lightly. Place into the oven and roast tomatoes for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile back on the stove top... add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic to a hot pan with a small amount of olive oil. I didn't put any amounts here because for us, adding in as much veg as possible is important. Do it to your taste. I did a half of an onion, one carrot, I didn't have any celery and I did one tooth of garlic. I will change it up next time. Turn the heat to med-low and saute for about 10 minutes. Add the remaining tomato juice from the can, the roasted tomatoes from the onion and all remaining ingredients except basil which you will add at the end. Simmer 10-15 minutes. If you have an immersion blender, use it. If you don't use a food processor or home blender. Add basil and serve.
My measure of success? My son has asked me to make it again-asking for a repeat on a vegetable? Now THAT is a good recipe!
Susan, Dr. K, feel free to suggest changes or additions.

No comments:

Post a Comment