Monday, January 25, 2010

More food

This weekend, I made the below mentioned tomato soup again at the request of my son. This time I was out of chicken stock but had some seafood so I used it and I loaded lots of tomatoes, celery, onions and just one carrot into the mix. It was scrumptious. I took advantage of the veggies all diced and sweating and took 1/2 cup of them when soft and made crab cakes. So so so good.
I took three heels from the Ezekiel bread and processed them up till fine. That went into a bowl with the veggies. I added a handful of fresh grated Parmesan, two eggs and mixed. Then i added a small container of crab claw meat from Whole Foods and a small portion of left-over rainbow trout. I formed four large patties. The were a bit too wet and didn't want to hold so I rolled them in a small amount of whole wheat bread crumbs. I placed them in a small cast iron skillet with olive oil spray and sprayed the tops of the cakes as well. Since I was making this up as I went along.. I placed them in a 350 oven and cooked them on both sides for 15 minutes. I then turned off the oven and left them in another 15 while I sat the table, ladled soup etc...
They were DELICIOUS. I only ate half as they were quite large and I ate a bowl of soup. The boy ate it all even with large pieces of veggies poking out. I told him they were soft from all of the cooking and that he wouldn't even know they were there. I then went on to tell him the soup had FIVE veggies in it and he loved it.
He tried to leverage that info. into no more veggies for the week since he had so many... I didn't buy it!
I wanted to share... this is a great way to use the Ezekiel bread outside of its normal use.

No comments:

Post a Comment