Sunday, October 25, 2009

Saturday and Sunday

Saturday-We all three went to see our doctor and nutritionist on Saturday. We attended at 3 hour session for the grown ups and then a 30 minute for the boy. As with all things we want it to "work" so badly-it is not discipline that stands in our way-it is not desire-it is the long term.
We spent the day in Kemah and enjoyed hanging out as a family.

Sunday- I went to whole foods and purchased the Ezekiel bread, pita pockets and tortillas and the headed over to Randalls for our regular stuff. I was able to find everything easily. I spent about 140 on groceries-pretty typical for us. I then spent about 2 hours getting the protein cooked and gathering the ingredients for our breakfast, lunch and dinner. I felt a but frustrated at spending the time on food when I could be doing other things but now, in the evening, I am glad. "Failing to plan is planning to fail". I know tomorrow will go well because I have laid everything out. I have decided not to continue my work outs with the fit club (a three day a week sweat fest with a trainer) but I will go to the gym and do the tread mill. As with all things, we can only mentally focus on so many things at one time and I feel good about editing a bit so I can carve out time for other things.

File under unbelievable-the boy and I started to talk about what I needed to make for his lunch and things got tense-a few tears started (his) and I said "we are not ready to talk about this-go away and I will call you in a bit". He and I ended up running a few errands and I shared with him that I had thought about it and we would compromise-he can choose to have a veggie a lunch or dinner-his choice. AND I told him he can choose between two veggies each time. This is such a stumbling block for both of us! We went to the binder made just for him (so smart!) and I read over the veggies he could choose from. He CHOSE a SALAD for LUNCH. I would not have believed this had I not seen it with my own eyes. That boy has NEVER eaten a salad in his life. He even suggested that I have a teacher sign off that he ate it and didn't throw it away. We made a Cobb salad variation. Lettuce, avocado, salsa, boiled egg and ham with sun dried tomato vinaigrette. When he finished making this big salad and then understood he got to have that AND a sandwich his overeating little heart almost burst. He said some kids were going to make fun of his salad but he said he was going to tell them "you obviously have not read about healthy eating" -hilarious! He then asked to read over the notebook again and hear all of the ideas. He asked if we could make the "ants on a log" (celery with pb and raisins) tomorrow-this was what had him crying just hours earlier! Kids are so resilient. We celebrated at the end that we got through it with no tears and his Dad and I both told him how proud we are of him.

So... concerns. Tomorrow we have a big meeting and I KNOW there will be sugar cookies and I LOVE sugar cookies. What's a girl to do??! I plan to take a baggie and take some home for a "free day" in 2 weeks. I am concerned about my wonderful hubband-he has "offsite" meetings and I am sure there will be lots of tempting food for him. I am worried about whether he can get away from work and meet us for dinner at the dinner table with no TV. I hope he can-I wish we did this already.

This is us, Sunday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment